Dunwich Parish Meeting: Dunwich, as a very small village, does not have a Parish Council. Instead there is a Parish Meeting which any resident or visitor can attend and at which anyone on the (parliamentary) electoral register may vote. The Meeting discusses any and all matters relating to the village and its environs, including planning applications, infrastructure, and coastal defence. Meetings take place on or close to the last Friday of January, April, July and October, the April meeting being the AGM. Officers are elected annually, the current ones being:
Chairman - Simon Strickland;Marshside, St James Street, Dunwich, IP17 3DT; 01728 648792; email@example.com
Vice-Chairman - Mike Sheppard;
Treasurer - Doug Boechler;
Dunwich Town Trust:This charity was originally established in 1889 to administer the property of the dissolved Corporation of Dunwich and apply its income for the general benefit of the people of Dunwich. The charity incorporates the former Pension Charity, set up in 1899 to administer the endowments of the medieval ‘Hospital of St James and The Maison Dieu charity' which provided ‘relief from distress' for anyone in the Parish of Dunwich.
The Charity is currently administered by eight trustees, six of whom are appointed by the Dunwich Parish Meeting. Further information and contact details are available at http://dunwichtowntrust.onesuffolk.net
Dunwich Reading Room and Museum Charity: Dunwich Museum tells the story of the town of Dunwich from its Roman origin to the present day. There is an emphasis on the medieval period, when Dunwich was one of the largest and most prosperous towns in England. As well as historical information, the museum has displays on local geography and natural history. For more information about the museum, its opening hours and its collection visit the website http://www.dunwichmuseum.org.uk
The Reading Room acts as the village hall but is also available to hire for social events and other activities, such as art exhibitions and craft fairs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dunwich Reading Room and Museum is a charity run by elected trustees. The museum is staffed by a management team during the week, and by volunteers at the weekend. The charity relies on public donations and fees for the hire of the Reading Room to fund its activities.
Manager - Jane Hamilton 01728 648796 (opening hours only).
Chairman of Trustees - John Cary;
Dunwich Greyfriars Trust: http://www.dunwichgreyfriars.org.uk/ The Greyfriars Monastery in Dunwich was built in the 13th century and and its remains (a scheduled ancient monument) are amongst the few remnants of the medieval town. The monastery and the adjoining Greyfriars Wood are now owned by the Trust and managed for the benefit of the village and its many visitors. The Trust is funded largely by membership, open to all, both individuals and corporate. Please contact the Chairman or Membership Secretary for details.
Chairman - Geoff Abell 01728 648107; email@example.com;
Dunwich Womens' Institute: Founded in 1919, Dunwich WI has around 24 members. Meetings are normally held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the Reading Room, St James Street, Dunwich, starting at 7.15pm. If you would like to know more about Dunwich WI or if you would like to come along to a meeting to see what we do, please do get in touch. We are always delighted to greet new members and can assure you of a warm and friendly welcome.Our programme of events and speakers can be found on the regional WI website at www.sefwi.org.uk/institutes/dunwich There is a contact button at the bottom of the Dunwich page.
Jubilee Committee: The Jubilee Committee was created to organise the village's celebration of the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002 and has continued to organise the annual 'Fun Day' in August and other village events. The Committee owns a selection of marquees that are available for private use for a moderate fee, along with a team to erect and dismantle them.
Contact - Crispin Clay 01728 648822